Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"You are so funny"

That is what my friend Darby said when I told her that I replied to a wanted ad in the local paper for newspaper writers. I am pretty funny on a good day but I wasn't necessarily going for funny when I replied. Anyway, I answered the ad for an opportunity to impose a deadline of some sort on my life that is full of discretionary time these days. Now, I don't have any journalistic experience other than keeping a personal journal. And all those time consuming college research papers many years ago. And that is what I told the editor. She was open to the idea of me trying my hand (That might've been because I was willing to do it without pay.) at newspaper reporting, gave me a story to work on and a phone number to call. So the following article is what came of my being "funny". And honestly, I don't know that it will be published but I'm happy to say that I met the deadline and that I did something that I've never done before. Thus, adding to my 'nothing-in-particular-ness'. :)


SS+Soccer + Saratoga Rage
The SS Rec Soccer program, heade by JL, coordinates between 800-1,000 players fromt he surrounding areas of SS, L and EM. And it continues to grow every year. Teams are co-ed and range from ages 4 years to 7th grade. There were 30 preschool teams last year alone. Coaches volunteer to hold weekly practices and coach eight games per session. It is from this outstanding program that community members saw a need to provide opportunity for the more advanced players.

Saratoga Rage is a private competitive soccer club founded by soccer enthusiasts RM and BB. Many of the Saratoga Rage players are recruited from or recommended by the SS Recreation Soccer Program. Like the SS Rec Soccer program, coaches also volunteer their to time to the youth and club.

Event though the city of SS has only been around less than two decades, it is the hope of Coach M that the city of SS be known for soccer. The club has grown from two to ten teams just since last year. They compete in L, H and as far south as S. The team will be going to St. G for a soccer tournament this upcoming Valentine's Day.

During off-season the club takes on the quick paced Brazilian sport futsal. Fusal is similar to soccer and differs in that there are only four players and one goalie per team playing with a smaller ball, on a hard rubber surface making it a faster and a higher scoring game. All five Rage teams that competed in the local tournament placed with one of the age 11 teams taking first in their bracket.

Small-town soccer with big-city dreams in all the Rage.
So, I actually like to think of this as one of my finished projects. It feels really good. I think it can be addicting. So, I wanted to also post a finished knitting project of my sister's. An afghan that she made for my birthday several years ago. I'm hoping to spread the addiction!... It appears that a reminder will have to do, for my computer refuses to recognize my photo card :( I guess, that means I better get back to unpacking those boxes so I can find the USB cord to my camera :)

No comments: